Application and Relevance
This course applies to educators and support staff working in education or children’s services who are required to respond to a first aid emergency. It incorporates the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response to infants, children and adults.
Participants are required to have;
- reasonable level of verbal and written skills
- the ability to demonstrate two minutes of CPR on the floor.
Mode of Delivery and Duration
Classroom training and assessment over 9 hours.
Dress and Equipment Requirements
Learners are to attend the course in comfortable non-offensive clothing. All equipment and resources to complete the course will be supplied.
Course Content Topics
- Airway and breathing management
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) techniques
- Automated External Defibrillation
- Medical conditions including diabetes, epilepsy and convulsions
- Infection control and first aid for minor wounds
- Risk management for asthma and anaphylaxis
- Anaphylaxis emergency management
- Asthma emergency management
- Control of major external bleeding and shock
- Management of near drowning
- Hyperthermia and hypothermia
- Burns and electric shock
- Eye and soft tissue injuries
- Venomous bites and stings
- Fractures and spinal injuries
- Head, chest and abdominal injuries
- Assessment of the sick and injured
- Recording vital signs
- Communicating details of an incident
- Reporting requirements in education and childrens services
- Debriefing and evaluation of response to critical incidents
Progressive assessment throughout the course, including demonstration of practical skills and written and oral questions relating to underpinning knowledge.
Victorian First Aid Services and Training is responsible for the quality of training and assessment and, the issuance of the AQTF certificates.
A 50% subsidy applies to volunteers who live and volunteer in Cardinia Shire.
To enrol, please go to the Victorian First Aid website. click here
Or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
9am – 5pm
Victorian First Aid RTO 41360
How to enrol
Visit Victorian First Aid website.